New apartment comin' up!


I did it! I have a signed contract and a new mortgage, and those two together mean I will have a new apartment pretty darn soon. Maybe tomorrow. It's right over the top of the Nordnes hill from here. It's on the 5th floor looking northwest, so the balcony gets afternoon sun. It has a living room with an adjoining kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, little cave that will become the guest bedroom, and entryway. The building is only 17 years old, but I get to look out over the little old Bergen houses. The price was the appraised price, and if you use one of those online programs to see how much a place should cost, it cost less than that. So even though it's outrageously expensive (this IS Norway), it's still a good deal.


The wallpaper in the living room is in a bad way. I'm putting on a "stripping" party this weekend, where I bribe my friends with pizza and beer to come tear it down or sand it or whatever, and then paint it a nice green. I've bought a lot of spackle, some assorted tools, and paper to cover the floor.


The kitchen may need some paint on the wooden cabinet, some new paint, and I need to buy a fridge, dishwasher and nuke (microwave). I found this really cool microwave that browns the food and blows hot air. I hope the sales brochure isn't blowing hot air! I also found a half-height dishwasher, so I think I can put the nuke on top of that and save the counter space that a microwave would take.


The master bedroom has a mirrored closet with organizer interior. The door into yellow goes to...
the bathroom! I am leaving the yellow, but toning it down with grey stone tiles on the floor and shower walls, and a new larger sink and mirror. I also need to buy a washer and dryer.


The last room is basically 2.2m x 2.2m with no window. I want to add a ceiling fan-light to give it some air movement, and some mirroring and light paint to open it up. I also hope to take that wall-hung cabinet down. It's just at head-conking height.

Now we're back around to the front door.
That's the little bedroom to the far right and the bath to the near right. Behind the wall on the left is the kitchen. You are standing in the entrance to the living room. There's a symmetrical coat-hanger-and-shoe-rack space to the left, too.

People have been very helpful. Ingrid went with me to the signing meeting, helped with the language, and then trooped over with me and the owner to measure the rooms. Graham drove over here with about 30 boxes from his recent move to Bergen. William has been helping with advice and some of Ed's coin stuff, and promises to help this weekend. Sister-in-law Lynne is bringing her friend Pat at the end of the month to help with the big moving weekend, and the following week. They are bringing their extensive painting, remodeling and crafting knowledge. Now THAT is above and beyond the call of duty, and it will be great fun.

Comments

  1. The place looks awesome! I hope to see it in person some day! So very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding! Shirley & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Pilla! It looks great. I have my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Calla, Tom, Shirley and Dale. It's Saturday night and the living room walls are all stripped and beautiful, thanks to Blandine, Lucas and Ingrid! Guess what color they are? Pink! Tomorrow they will be a calm green.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment