Virtual party, virtual Norwegian lessons, keeping in touch

Last Friday night, in Phoenix, Arizona, my old (young at heart) high school buddies got together. This is a regular way that we celebrate when someone from out of town comes home. Then we tell the same stories, mix in some new ones, and keep up with everyone's lives. It's pretty special that we've been doing this since - too long ago to mention. This time, I got to attend even though I'm here in Bergen! Skype worked like a champ. Apparently, Glenda set me up in a high chair. I figure that means I've lost weight. It was great fun to be there, seeing and hearing everyone (except Jane, who has a very soft voice). The only problem (no biggie) was that it was 6 am here when it was 9 pm there.

Meanwhile, on this side of the ocean, I am taking Norwegian lessons via Skype. I get one-on-one sessions with lots of practice talking and listening. This is through Skapago, a company I found with a web search. My teacher, Tyra, uses Skype for the audio and Spreed for the chalkboard. She's an excellent language teacher, who is Norwegian, but lives in Munich. One of the best things about learning this way is the flexibility. If I need to miss a night, we just reschedule. While I was taking care of Ed in April and May, I didn't have any lessons, but I didn't fall behind in a classroom. So through the wonders of Skapago, I am taking Norwegian lessons from Munich!

My dad, siblings, and kids all have Skype, so we get to see each other regularly. It's so much better than just phoning. You'd be surprised how much closer you feel when you can see the other person. Plus you can show things to each other. We show the progress on our artistic endeavors. Once Neal and I compared the US vs Norwegian covers of the same movie (big difference, hmmm). Ed and I got to see Neal's houses whenever he moved because he carried the webcam around and showed us. I was showing my high school buddies this place, but going onto the deck knocked out the signal. So they didn't get to see the pedestrian street, bummer.

The world is getting smaller all the time. Back when I was a kid and they hadn't invented dirt yet, we had to send letters on paper, and wait weeks for replies. It's nice to look at real letters, and for important things, they are still the best. But for keeping relationships alive, we have it so much better now. Just for one example, I was contacted by a friend from National Semiconductor who found me on Facebook just last week. I worked and played there in the 80's. Jean posted a picture from one of our bed races. Here is a blast from the past!
I'm on the right, Jean has the clipboard, and Deanna is leaning on the bed on the far corner.
I promise to post a picture of the high school get-together when they e-mail me a digital photo (speaking of changing technologies).

Comments

  1. Great post, Pilla. Keep 'em coming. I always look forward to learning about what's going on in Norway. We just may make it over to visit one of these years......

    ReplyDelete
  2. had a look at the Skapago site and it doesn't do French yet :( However, I will keep in mind as if next summer in Texas is as hot as its been this year, I think I might escape to my parents in Brittany France for the duration. if i do that I will need to do some extensive French lessons

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment