Midsummer in Paris!

I had a week of work in Paris, and stayed one more day for my own pleasure. 
My Friday evening dinner out on the street - Caesar salad and wine
It turns out that I was in town for La Fête de la Musique Friday, the first day of summer! Musicians of all skill levels are out playing all over France, so I walked up Blvd St-Michel, stopping for a song at each likely spot. My absolute favorite was this threesome playing Blues in front of the Egyptian Cultural embassy. 
The center guy was the best harmonica player, ever!

A family group - note the little girl with the toy guitar. They did oldies that I could sing along with.

No music here, just a good place to chill


Brass band with a drummer, playing gypsy-type music


A marathon drum session from this kid. His feet, his hands, all those instruments wrapped around him. Wow.


Another family group with a young singer
 Another fun group was what I would call a neighborhood drum circle. There were 8 or so people of a wide range of ages, all drumming while facing each other in a circle. They moved in and out, and occasionally chanted something together, all the time looking as happy as could be!

Last spring, I had a cooking lesson in Paris, and it was so much fun that I decided to repeat it this year! We had 5 students of chef Frederic Coroneck. We walked through the neighborhood farmers market, then he gave us several choices for appetizer, main dish, and dessert. We chose endives with a cheese sauce in ramekins, veal and ham rolled with sage, plus a new potato, some carrots with radishes, and a baked half-tomato, followed by fruits in a honey sauce. Yum!

With the spoils of our shopping

Entree of endive with "runny eggs"
 
Veal roll, carrots, radishes, potato and tomato


Strawberries, cherries, and apricots in a warm honey sauce
I wrote down everything and took pictures, and then went out and bought some ramekins, so - cross your fingers - I can reproduce this!


Comments

  1. Wish we could have joined you! You should come see us and enjoy sunshine and temps in the high 80's! Then you could make us some more of your newly found recipes! Looks like you did a good job of seeing Paris again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment