American Viking!

Talked with some Syrian asylum seekers at the Herdla Viking market this weekend, and we decided that I'm an "American Viking"! I was wearing my homemade outfit, but talking immigrant Norwegian. :)
This summer was record-breaking rainy weather, and it poured Friday night, but my tent did its job. You can see that the bottom of my tunic got soaked, though. I wore my rain boots - forget authenticity! Saturday and Sunday were both warm and sun-filled. Timmi was so well-behaved!
This was sunset Saturday night, while everyone recovered from a packed day. They were cooking our feast, too. I spent some time with Sigrid learning about herbs from the area, and bought some roots to make tea at home.
Here are a couple more pics of the area:
Another sunset shot
The bird refuge
The Vikings built a carousel that actually worked! 4 kids swing as one or two bigger folks push the central pole around. Lots of delighted squeals!
Actual smelting of iron ore!
There was bow-shooting and horseback riding, too, and people sold hand-made things.

Thanks to the Askøy Vikinglag for welcoming me and Timmi, and sharing their 1000-year-old passion.

Comments