Arizona for High Tea, Thanksgiving with relatives, and onward to California

Relatives time! Stepfamily Lea and Lori, with Lori's husband Bob were in Sun City. We had the traditional picture on the living room couch! On November 13th, Lori and I strolled around after dark, admiring the biggest full moon since 1948.

High school friend Jane invited me to stay with her a couple of days when I first arrived. Little did I know that she was a Trump voter! I had a Skype call at midnight Glendale time with Norway. He offered condolences instead of greetings when we connected. I apologized for the US. I was more depressed on the day after the election than I've been in years. Luckily for me, Leonard, another high school friend, invited me for breakfast coffee on the second morning and we cheered each other up. Later that day, I bought a sandwich for a homeless guy and ate with him. We have to take care of each other now.

I moved into the GasLight Inn right on Glendale Avenue in Glendale, and arranged a High Tea get-together with our Glendale High buddies. We've been getting together pretty much every year since 1969 graduation. Our waitress couldn't believe how old we were! We declined that label. The Inn had hats for us to wear.
Pinkies up! Leonard, Glenda, Carolyn, me, Jane, Ellen and Rosie
Phoenix has a new attraction, Dolphinaris, where Jane and I swam with the dolphins. These dolphins were born and raised in captivity and they seemed to genuinely enjoy interacting with us all.
Leko kissing me (sideways) ❤

Next stop, Prescott! It was painted with bright fall colors. I stayed with my in-laws, Lynne and Russ, in their beautiful Victorian home. Lynne and I walked most mornings because it was always sunny, except for one morning. It got down to freezing a few nights, too. November 17th was Ladies' Night at Tru Value Hardware! Lynne and friends celebrate Mel's birthday with the wine and hors d'oevres there, and Mel tested out an electric saw. I bought a 6-1/2 inch Lodge iron skillet. Imagine ladies packing a hardware store! The downside was getting called "girls" a lot.
Mom and Lynne

Random yard ornament from our walks
Thanksgiving! With family! With turkey! With pie!
Lynne and Russ show off the turkey

Deanna, Russ, Lynne, Erik and Esther
Wonderful dinner! Deanna and I introduced our family tradition of orange rolls to the mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, sweet potatoes, and asparagus with hollandaise sauce

Cherry pie, pumpkin pie, lemon meringue pie, and pecan pie! 
Deanna and I at Sunset Point rest area on the way to Prescott from Phoenix
 Deanna and I left for San Francisco, where she lives and my flight takes off. We stopped at Ed's grave, and also my mother's.

In San Francisco, we visited MOMA with Cris, a grad school friend, on Sunday. Deanna and I joined the Harvey Milk Memorial that evening, a solemn gathering and march down the street. We walked all over Mission, the Castro, Haight-Ashbury and other places before the Michael Chabon talk at the Jewish Community Center San Francisco. His writing is awesome! I read Telegraph Avenue, and got him to autograph it. Deanna gave Cris The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay to have autographed. Deanna's colleagues at JCCSF all think she's wonderful!

What amazed me was how much fear the audience was exhibiting about the Trump administration. They realize that Jews are far down on the hate list, but they are still asking when it's time to leave the country. They are making plans, just in case. This election has divided the American people terribly. End of political post.

Comments