Being a Tourist in my Bergen

To start out, let me say that I love tourists. They are always having fun, pointing out things, exploring new places and learning new things. I love being a tourist, for all the same reasons. Plus, a person with a camera around their neck gets help from strangers. 

My California friend, Cris, is visiting, which means I get to enjoy Bergen with the eyes of a tourist, exploring and taking pictures! 

Starting a walking tour at Rosenkrantz Tower
We explored the area around and above Bryggen. Our guide, Serena, was from Rome, so she and Cris had Italy in common. 

What a view from the top of Ulriken
On the warmest day of the week, we joined the throngs riding the gondola to the top of the tallest mountain around Bergen, Ulriken. We had lunch with a mother and daughter who were getting ready to hike from Ulriken to Fløien. They have done it several times, always much faster than my 8 hour pace. Cris and I wandered the beginning of that trail.

Rosendahl on a sunny day
A two-hour fast ferry to a former manor was a high point of the other warm, sunny day. Timmi got to join us. He's been to Rosendahl before, but he was much less of a "little old man" on that trip. This time, after outdoor lunch, he and I sat on the grass near the flower and herb garden, while Cris explored.

My friends on opening weekend in the beautiful tunnel 
Walking the tunnel to the Fyllingsdalen suburb 
Fyllingsdalen tunnel opened on April 15th with a weekend of cycling events, races, and kids' events. My friends and I joined a zillion bicyclists riding from Fyllingsdalen to Bergen, which is 7.8 km.
Cris' visit gave me the opportunity to walk the 3 km at the Fyllingsdalen end. We enjoyed the art, the varying colors of lights, and the pleasant breeze.

New foods are the best part of travel
I took the week off of cooking dinners. Hooray for vacation! We enjoyed Sjø (Sea), a new restaurant, quite upscale and delicious. We tried a new Indian restaurant, Varanasi, which was a pleasant surprise, since Norwegians eat such bland food. We went back to our favorite sausage place, Trekroneren. New is good, but food that you already know that you love rocks!

Comments

  1. Looks like you had a great time as a tourist here... especially the not cooking part! JML

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment