Farewell Tour




I'm just winding up my "farewell tour". It's been great to see all sorts of old friends, from all the way back to high school up through the Six Sigma Black Belt community at Boeing. Retiring and moving is a wonderful excuse to connect with everyone, and I highly recommend it!

At Boeing, several of my mentees not only finished their projects, but invited me for lunch to celebrate. Maybe they were celebrating getting rid of me so I won't nag them any more? But I also had lunch with my boss and another manager, and a lunch with some of the folks from the old Defense & Space Group, plus a fabulous party with the Black Belt community and some of the Lean folks. I've made lots of wonderful friends at Boeing.

I have to tell you, visiting the University of Texas at Austin to attend my PhD advisor's retirement was the best! Jack Swift advised 14 grad students over his 30 years - I was his first, which I had forgotten. 11 of them showed up for the day. What Phun to talk Physics with old fogeys and new grad students! (Take my word for it - it was fun.)

Old high school buddies met in Glendale for a goodbye party, too. Isn't it amazing that we are still getting together 39 years after graduation? I count myself lucky to have such enduring friendships.

I also got to visit my parents and Ed's family. His sister is so generous. She keeps letting me stay at her place, and she even loaned me a car to drive all over the Valley of the Sun. Incidentally, it wasn't too smoggy or too hot, being only May.

Now the frustrating part. I'm leaving Friday for Norway. I want to start work next week. So Tuesday, the relocation company writes that they want me to send some forms by courier. They are just now STARTING to work on my work permit. There is absolutely no telling how long it will be before I actually get to work.

That has a silver lining, though. I will have time to get to know Bergen, and add to this blog, and entertain you for longer!

Comments

  1. Safe travels my Friend. (I just wanted to be the first one to post on your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to miss the Glendale tour! I look forward to reading of your adventures and keeping in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pilla, its wonderful that you had such a terrific good-bye tour.

    We miss you already and thanks for creating this avenue to stay in touch! I look forward to your future postings.

    Leon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was old PHogeys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment