Hiking, and food discoveries

Yes, some of you asked about the red "school uniforms". They are only worn by graduating seniors, at the end of the year. The kids are called Russ (roose), and spend lots of money on Russ busses with heavy-duty sound equipment.

I have discovered more interesting food. I bought some lettuce at the grocery store, and when I pulled it out of the bag, it was in a little pot. It was actually a living plant! Also, they were giving out samples of hotdogs, but they were made with salmon. I bought some, and eat them with mustard.

Sunday I woke up to another sunny morning (who says it rains here?) so decided on a hike. I put on my thermal underwear, a Washington Trails Association T-shirt, and my new REI rain gear, packed a lunch, and started up Floyen. I was wearing my coat around my waist by the time I reached the top, at 320 meters. I was in a huge crowd, even all the way up. Families with strollers and little kids were making it up the mountain. I was definitely the slowest one there. After I took some pictures, I read that there was a hut 1.8 km further on that served food on Sundays, so decided to go there. I arrived at 5 minutes to 2 to find a REALLY huge crowd. Dogs, kids, bicycles, and even the Buekorps (Bow Corps) Boys marching in! It was the season opening of the Bushytten, at 2 pm. A bugler climbed the roof to start it, and there were lots of speeches and thank you bouquets, and a huge check presented, and all the usual grand opening brouhaha. During that 1/2 hour, it started raining. People popped up umbrellas. Then it started snowing! A few people started leaving. By the time the hut was opened, I decided to head back, too. Here are pictures from that hike.

I am proud to announce that I passed a lady walking with canes on that last part of the way to the hut. And no, I didn't have to knock one of her canes out of her hands to get past her. I was much more in line with the speed of the crowd going downhill. The last 2 pictures are Bergen from Floyen.



During the evening, it even hailed. Wild weather!






Monday I started work. It was fun. They have a great deal in the cafeteria - bread, fruit and salads, and coffee, milk, water, tea are free. There are free coffee and free fruit all during the day in multiple places. My boss and co-worker will be good to work with. The company policies encourage work/life balance. Hours are 8 to 4 generally, but I'll see how much overtime is the reality. The factory shift is 7 to 3:10. No, I don't know why the extra 10 minutes!

Comments

  1. Great hike... speaking of food at work - I'm going to be needing a job soon, soooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again I attempt to post a comment. I know I'm going to figure this out sooner or later.

    Hey, we buy lettuce that's a living plant here also. I love that stuff. Russ found it and at first I was thinking, too weird, but turns out it's the best lettuce in town and it lasts for a much longer time if needed.

    Glad you're getting into your work routine and enjoying the countryside and food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any word on what the trolls are all about?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment