Moving In

I've been moving into my temporary apartment! It is right downtown in the shopping district. It is over the relocation company and an embroidery store. Take the elevator to the 7th floor, don't forget that you have to pull and push the elevator door open at each end, then walk up another flight to the floor with the apartment. It's a one-bedroom with the larger room being a combined living/dining/kitchen area, and with the bedroom holding a king-sized bed, a nightstand and a chair. I asked for a dresser, since there is no closet. The owner is supposed to bring one this weekend. There is a small wardrobe for hanging clothes.

The kitchen has all the utensils you could need. There's a dishwasher but no microwave, and a fridge but no freezer. There's a clotheswasher but no dryer. The main thing it has is (hooray!) Internet access. There's also TV. Those latter two are unusual, I understand. So I can keep blogging!

Lesson learned: don't bring electric appliances, even with a transformer. I brought my radio/CD player and it will work for a few minutes, but then the transformer overheats and it stops. I brought my espresso maker, but it didn't work with the transformer. I'm going to have to find an electronics store, and hope they have a better transformer. I also haven't found a shop that sells decaf espresso grind!

I went to a drugstore today. You know how ours have a relatively small pharmacy in the back? Well, they do it the opposite way. There's a relatively small shopping area in the front. I found my lotion and some calcium supplements, but they didn't have Lactaid tablets. They said they could order the liquid drops, but they couldn't even order the tablets. I'll check a different apotek (drugstore).

The post office is different, too. You take a number on entering, just like in the apotek. They can give you cash from your MasterCard, and they accept payment for the Norwegian language course I am taking. Jeg heter Pilla. Hva heter du? (I am called Pilla. What are you called?)

I made a great discovery! Europris is a store like Fred Meyers or Target. So I could buy clothes hangers and trash bins. Remember when Debbie said she wandered the streets in Korea looking for a wrench? That's me looking for trash cans. Small victories are important!

I've taken a few random photos, but nothing worth publishing. Maybe next time.

Comments

  1. Well your days seem to be filled with excitement! I was very impressed with the photo of the tour bus headed down that hairpin 20% grade. Wow - Russ and I could certainly use the expertise of the grading engineer on the grove in Temecula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 230-115 transformer that you and Ed can have for the asking. It's not light, but it will not overheat -- it's not one of those little toys they sell in the AAA and small shops that are good for running a shaver but not much more. If Ed wants to haul it, let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment