Norwegian National Day

May 17th started off with a bang - cannon shots! It's Norway's independence day. On this day in 1905 they became independent of Sweden. They really celebrate with families and friends. The weather was blustery but not bad. They had a fair set up near the fisherman's market with a little midway. I followed groups of people to a big brick building, and then another bunch of people to the tall ship in the harbour. Other groups were going every which way this morning before 9 am. The parade started at 10. It featured a lot of kids - athletic clubs, schools, the Buekorps Boys that march with drums, the Russ 2008 kids that are going to graduate, and strollers. There were also a group of WWII vets, a group of 60+ folks, one or two military units in dress uniform, the firemen in antique trucks, and a Chinese dragon and a bagpipe band. No horses, though.







The odd thing was that everyone in the parade was just walking along, talking and having a grand time, mostly not even glancing at the people watching. The people watching, meanwhile, thought nothing of walking right across the street through a group parading. Another odd thing, but understandable with the layout of Bergen between the harbor and the hills, is that the parade doubled back on itself. I was standing in the center of the road, so got good pictures both coming and going!

Everyone was wearing their Sunday best, mostly the traditional outfits. I went home and changed into a hose and skirt after the parade! Then I stood in line at a restaurant, hoping to get a feel for the atmosphere. I don't think it worked. The atmosphere was outside, on boats tied up in the harbor and in the main pedestrian area. There were lots of small group parties going on.

I talked to a young woman selling a street magazine, and bought one. It's like the street newspapers in many large US cities, helping people who are marginalized to buy food and clothes. Anyway, she told me about the patterns on the dresses. I had noticed that the majority of them were identical. That means her mother was from Bergen. The other patterns show where the other mothers were from. She also told me I needed to eat Rommergrop! Everyone eats that on May 17th. So I found a restaurant in old Bryggen that had it. It is porridge made with sour cream. You sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar, and eat it with crisp pretzels and salted meat. Pretty good - very filling.








I wore my pedometer today. I walked 7 miles around and around. So I am worn out.








The good news is, Monday I start work! My work permit came through Friday. I have my bus pass, and did a trip up there last week. It's 45 minutes. The bus crosses two giant bridges and goes through a bunch of tunnels. You get some nice water views from the bridges.

More pictures at http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=417593745318_951615827306&collid=87746302206.111614827306.1211048123446&page=1


Comments

  1. Hey! I see the full pictures now!

    For some reason my Mozilla Firefox at home had squished them.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment