Company summer party


WesternGeco's summer party is called Summer Grill. They bus everyone to a surprise location after work. This year it was at Hordaland Museum, a Viking and Roman re-enactment site. It has old sod-roof buildings, and the docents are wearing Viking or Roman clothes. The woman next to me is wearing Roman, the other two are Viking. I think the guy in blue is Roman, and the orange is Viking.

We had team tasks to do. The top picture is of my Green Team creating a song. We also had to start fire with flint, iron and shredded fungus, hammer Viking boat boards together, card wool and spin it into yarn, guess what some tools were for, and find answers to a quiz in the museum. How many rowers were there on a certain kind of Viking boat? What was the sail called? We also tossed horse shoes and milk cans...

Here, our team watches the next team toss milk cans while we wait our turn on the next event. Beautiful place, isn't it?

After the tasks, we had BBQ and Hansa beer. If you're in Bergen, you have to drink Hansa, like if you're in St. Louis, you have to drink Budweiser. It was okay, but nothing like Northwest beer. There was also a hired musician, plus recorded music to dance to. The busses returned at 1 am. No one was allowed to drive themselves. Good idea! When we got back to Bergen at 2 am, the sidewalks were packed with partiers, and many of our folks went looking for a place to continue. I didn't!

Everyone was friendly. Most the time, I could tell what was going on, but when I asked for translation, they were very good about it. The manufacturing manager arranged to be in Bergen this weekend so he could go. He actually read the Norwegian lines that his team had written for their task, and they all enjoyed it. He is Romanian, speaks English with a French accent, and doesn't speak Norwegian.

Other observations: There is a higher proportion of smokers here, and a lot of blue eyes. The blue eyes are very striking with the dark hair that many have. Maybe the hair color is artificial, but I can't tell.

Saturday I basically slept all day. I am long past the time when I could party all night! Sunday the sun finally went away and we got clouds and rain. I am glad. I thought it was too hot! It got up to 80 F some days last week. My Arizona friends and relatives are dying of laughter right now. Yes, I have lost the ability to live in Phoenix.

Comments