4th of July weekend

Ha! You were expecting fireworks, weren't you? Surprisingly, the 4th of July is merely the day before the 5th of July here in Norway. (smile)
This public pool area has a wading pool, a regular pool, and a DIVING BOARD INTO THE FJORD. I call this a "vertical beach". Saturday afternoon, I walked around Bergen with Keith, the American who stayed with me when I fell on Ulriken. He pointed out key locations like the Salvation Army store, as well as this pool.
Saturday night, I went hiking with Katarina. We left at 9 pm, in broad daylight, and headed uphill. The trail here was beside a rushing stream, up a long-ago rockfall. This is why I go hiking! That's Bergen in the background. What's that in my left hand? Walking sticks. I love them! They give me security, plus help my knees and give me a little upper-body work.
Guess what time this picture was taken? 11 pm. We had reached a dammed lake, perhaps the source of the rushing stream in the last picture. The clouds were just starting to turn color as the sunlight left the mountaintops. That was our turnaround point.
Back on the familiar trail along the top of Floyen, the clouds got really beautiful as midnight approached. The sunset was really slow, making sure we had plenty of time to savor it. As we headed down the last part of the trail into town, we got to see Bergen with the lights on, a first for me, at least. You could hear the partying all the way up the mountainside. We got some funny looks walking through town with our hiking gear at 12:30 at night, mixing with the girls looking sexy and the guys looking for beer. But it was a perfect time for a hike!

Comments

  1. That's an awesome picture at the top of Floyen! It gets dark here about 8pm. Not enough daylight for summer play....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Pilla. It must be kind of surreal being in the land of the (almost) midnight sun. I could have certainly used the peace and quiet of a July 4th out of the country, too!

    Joe

    http://bowlingjoe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment