Viking helmet with butterflies

Have fun! Learn! My motto and my blog name led to this - I learned to knit, and my first project is a viking helmet with butterflies. Isn't it fun?

Norwegians of both sexes learn to knit in school. There are knit shops here like there are latte' stands in Seattle. I was inspired to try it myself. I learned from the web. There are lots of great sites, and some YouTube instructional videos. Then I had to ask for help on how to get out of mistakes. Plus, I got a library card and ordered a great book for learning: "Knitting with Balls; A hands-on guide to knitting for the Modern Man". The cover has a guy holding two balls of yarn in front of him. I had to have it! It has very clear instructions, in case you also get inspired.

Comments

  1. Hello, Pilla,

    Very nice photo with your viking helmet. In Japan men of a special occupation do knitting traditionally. Sailormen. They spend boring days on the sea in Knitting. Can you imagine machos knitting on the deck?
    Anyway your photos from Norway are very beautiful. Thanks. Shoko from Vienna

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Knitting with Balls" has lots of references to sailors. Apparently, they each developed a trademark pattern for their sweaters, and you could tell whose body washed ashore by the sweater. A bit morbid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilsen norsk sommerfuglen!

    thats pretty much the extent of my Norsk...

    well, I LOVE IT! I am gonna knit a viking helm w/ braids so the viking knitter will have her own viking helm!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment