You're going to die in a flaming car wreck...

Or so Daddy once told me. Or I'll flunk my Norwegian driving test, according to my driving instructor. I crossed a solid white line changing lanes. Oops - not allowed! I incorrectly identified a street I was driving on as a one-way street. I looked at all the cars parked going my way on both the left and the right, and the garbage truck in the left lane parked pointing my direction, and said to Harald, "Yes, this is a one-way street." Then he made me stop and showed me the error of my ways. You're allowed to park on either side of the street, and putting on your flashers excuses stopping on the wrong side of the street, too. Humph. You have to look for the back of a round sign that is bent around the pole. The right side of that sign is the "don't enter" sign. That is the only sign that is not painted on both sides. So if you see its back, you're going the right way on a one way. Of course, at the intersection, you should see the "don't enter" sign somewhere and know that the other way is the right way.

The upshot is I need a couple more lessons before I take my test! Americans can drive with US licenses for one year. I have till March, the date of my first visit to Norway.

Comments

  1. Sounds difficult... Try driving in Korea. The red light means slow down and look both ways before going. Double parking is Ok. Always use your emergency flashers for stopping, slowing, or parking illegally. Don't yield to pedestrians. Pass slow cars on the right. Well, those aren't the official rules... Did you know that you could have gone to AAA and gotten an international drivers license for $15? Me, neither, though I am a bit scared to drive here, so I don't need one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, Pilla. I'm sure you'll be just fine. My only non-U.S. or Canada driving experience was in rural central England back in 1985. Oddly, I got used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road and the roundabouts in short order. What I never DID get used to though was the gutless Peugeot rental car that could barely make it up the rolling hills.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment