Very busy week

This week I
1) turned in my work visa and permanent residence paperwork
2) applied for a mortgage pre-approval
3) tried to let the Norwegian government know that Ed died
4) put a bid to buy an apartment
5) began 3-times-a-week training to walk from Bergen to Knarvik on Sept 3
6) attended the first ever Bergen Internations get-together
7) cheered Brann, our soccer team, on to victory in person
8) was turned down for the apartment in #4.

#1 should get me out of my semi-illegal-alien status. If it gets done before Aug 16, they will call it a renewal and won't make the clock start over. I was a little distracted in May, when I should have put in the paperwork, and I let my visa expire. Permanent residence was one of Ed's biggest goals. :-(

#2, 4, and 8 are also to achieve one of Ed's goals. He had begun talking about buying an apartment here sometime late last year, but I said no, not with him being so sick. Now that my 3-year rental contract is about to end, I am learning about the real-estate system here. They have never had a banking or housing crisis, and there are more buyers than sellers. The average time in Bergen from listing to selling is 14 days! Most places have bidding wars, even. I'll be attending a couple more open-houses next week.

Internations (#6) is composed of people who are interested in other cultures. I've been a member of the Oslo chapter since moving here, and it is really great that someone volunteered to organize a Bergen chapter. Thank you, Michael!

My name was drawn at work to go to a Brann game (#7), which was another of Ed's and my plans. It was fun! We won! The link is to a video of the game. We're in red, and yes, the other guys are "Odd". Odd Grenland, that is. I was sitting behind the goal that we scored at 2:44 in the video.

Listen to the Brann anthem here. They don't have beer at sports events. The fans drink coffee. No wonder they are so revved up, chanting and singing throughout the game. But the light-rail trip home was quiet. No celebrating the win.

Comments