Kuala Lumpur

A business trip to our new plant in Penang, Malaysia. Life being uncertain, I planned a day in Kuala Lumpur (KL) on the way. I got my first ride on a Boeing 747! It was big - I was in row 44 and only about halfway down the seats. I made it to Kuala Lumpur (KL) on time. But my luggage didn't come out at the end - it was sent on to Penang. I sat around for a couple of hours while they found them. By then the airport transport car had left, and had to come back. So I got checked into the hotel at 11 am after landing at 6 am. Ah well, the joys of travel!
BOY was I jetlagged! After a short nap, I went out to look for the hop-on hop-off bus. I had lunch at a street market along with a million office workers. It was noodles and tasted good. No Montezuma's revenge. Then I stopped at a Wendy's and got a Coke float! Wow, there's a blast from the past! Then I got back on the right road this time to find the bus, bought a ticket and rode around town.
KL is a huge modern city. This is the view from my hotel room.
Lunch! They call these Hawkers. People are very loyal to "their" hawkers.

I got off at the twin towers that were recently the tallest in the world and went shopping for Christmas presents.


This was the view when I walked into the KLCC (the shopping center in the towers). There was a Toyota event below me with quite a few cars, multiple levels above me, and this is just one of the towers.
Afterwards, I got back on the bus after waiting a half hour, and after a further hour, had moved only 4 stops. Man, do they have bad rush-hour traffic here!!! So I got off and walked through the KL Convention Center, which was having a beauty stuff convention, and back to the Crown Plaza. While studying the menus of the two in-hotel restaurants, I joined up with three folks from Sweden. We had dinner together. I was the only one in the restaurant who ordered the Bavarian buffet. When I went back for dessert, they had absconded with the plates and the desserts! I chased them down and made them hand them over. Only after dinner did I allow myself to sleep. Must beat jetlag!

Some of the sights from the bus.
This is one edge of Liberty Park. They've only been independent since 1954, I think it was.

The changing of the guards, which reminds us of their British history.

The National Mosque.

The next day, I took the second half of my hop-on hop-off tour and hopped off at the Islamic Arts Museum.
Quite a museum building!





Finally it was time to say goodbye to Kuala Lumpur and head off to Penang!

Comments