Bang! Christmas season starts in Bergen!

No Black Friday here (which from what I read in the news today, is good to not have). We started off with Nattåpent, Lysfest, and Berit. Berit is a storm. Huge low-pressure zone at the same time as higher than normal high tides. This is the first storm with a name that I've heard of. I think the Norwegians just started the naming thing. Here's a picture from my apartment during a sun break today. Check out those white caps breaking against that ship and the dock!

The storm is blowing like crazy. They've had to dock Hurtigruten ships and take people by bus to the next stop. The tide is really high, but we didn't get that much rain, so Bryggen is probably still above water. I don't intend to go see! I'm staying inside today, Sunday, in my cozy living room. I guess I forgot to post a picture of it before, so here you go.


Lysfest, the opening of the Christmas season, went on as it was supposed to, yesterday. Everyone had umbrellas up for the music and lighting of the Christmas tree in the lake. The torches kept getting put out by the wind and rain. When the fireworks started, people folded up their umbrellas for better viewing. Fireworks in horizontal rain- almost like Seattle! The fireworks show was very good. I like the way they shoot off low ones and high ones at the same time, and just cover the sky with sparkles. It's also fun that it's dark at 5 pm, so they shoot off the fireworks then, not late at night as you have to do at lower latitudes.

Backing up to Thursday night, it was Bergen's shopping night. I love seeing all the people out on the streets. There are folding tables set up selling waffles. Groups of carolers are serenading. Most of the stores have good sales, like 25 to 50% off. Unfortunately, none of the electronics stores joined in, so I did not buy myself a DVD player. I made up for it, though. I bought some cleavage and bling for the book club julebord. CBHH required - cleavage, bling, and high heels. Now I own a full-length black dress which I will probably wear once in my lifetime, but it was cheap!

I just reviewed last year's blog here, and there are good pictures of the waffle-tables, and fireworks, and Christmas trees, and good memories. No Thanksgiving turkey this year, but I had a good American style dinner with two Americans visiting WesternGeco. Michael, the guy in this post, hosted me in Penang, and since turn-about is fair play, I hosted him and his girl friend here. They were excellent company.

Comments