Christmas Eve 2011

Here it is, Christmas already. My mood is bobbing up and down like a balloon in the breeze. Many people have grief this year. Of course, I have been wrapped up in my own, but I can't forget the others. A colleague who lost her stepdaughter in a helicopter crash on the way to their cabin. A close friend who miscarried their much-loved twins. All the families of the young people who were massacred July 22. We all have a different Christmas this year.

In Bergen, this morning is sunny. My spirits always lift on sunny days. I walked down to Torgallmenningen, where the tree is surrounded by plastic-bagged donations for the Salvation Army, the gingerbread city is inviting us all with Christmas carols, and a busker is playing beautiful music. I stopped in a florist to get myself a Christmas plant. The clerk, wearing a Christmas head-thing, smiled and told me about his plans for this evening. He will eat (hand gesture showing bulging stomach) with his close friend, then spread love (hands flung wide) to everyone.

I have NRK2 on the TV, showing "Hurtigruten minute by minute". It is a slow-moving film taken from the Nordnorge ship as it travels north along the coast. I have Christmas music on the radio. My precious butter is waiting for me to roll out a pie crust for tomorrow's pumpkin pie. Natalia will cook something Russian at her place, then we'll come here for dessert and cappuccinos. I have colored lights in the window. Under the plant are a few presents. I am so grateful for my friends who gave them to me. Christmas morning, I get to open them!

Christmas is different for many of us at work. We have 31 nationalities there right now. The local newspaper interviewed some of  us about what we do for Christmas. Vandita, from India, told about being invited to Christian neighbors' houses for dinner, Choong Wah said that she has no Christmas memories since she's Buddhist, and Alexander told about Russian celebrations being a week later but very similar to ours. I talked about how all the kids would get new bikes and presents on the morning of the 25th, causing lots of running around the neighborhood. The reporter remembered not being allowed to leave the house at all on the 25th, since that day is reserved for being with family. Norwegians have the big meal on Christmas Eve, and open presents afterward. Second Christmas Day, the 26th, is the day for getting together with your friends.

I see that it's been 2 weeks since I updated you. Quick recap:
Vandita's bachelorette party pictures!


She was such a good sport about selling her candy - on the bus, in the liquor store, in the grocery store! She ended up with 1300 kr. We told her she could a) buy us all drinks or b) invite more people to her wedding (already has 400 guests - considered a small wedding).

Then we were downright silly, belly dancing while wearing masks of her fiance'. She'll have nightmares!!



The next party was the Internations Julebord at Wesselstuen. More good food, and good conversation with people from all over who want to learn about other ways to see the world.

Pinnekjøtt

Mountain trout
I wanted something besides lutefisk, pinnekøtt, or svineribbe, all of which I already ate this season. I ordered the mountain trout and a side of gratineed potatoes, and then gave away my boiled potatoes. :-) This worked for me in another way - it was easy to chew on one side of my mouth. I had gum surgery last week. Good diet technique, everyone! Better than the low-carb high-butter diet!

I see lots of funny clips about the Great Norwegian Butter Crisis on YouTube.

This post is going on and on, but there's one more party to talk about. WesternGeco had a Christmas party in Knarvik last Friday night. We had lots of pizza, and it was delicious. We had gifts - and stealing of gifts - based on rolling dice. The most desired gift at our table was the green lace thong. It was stolen around and around the table! I had it for a minute or two. I thought of you, BowlingJoe! But then it was stolen from me. The evening concluded with a quite talented DJ and dancing. Well done, organizing team!



Comments

  1. Merry Christmas, Pilla! I was really having a great time reading this until you put the mental picture in front of me of BowlingJoe and the lace green thong! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be forever associated with "thongs" for better or for worse. I guess I have only myself to blame for that! cvow, just make sure you're wearing your raccoon fur-lined thong to help get you through that harsh Nebraska winter that'll be coming up in January.

    Happy new year, everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment