Paris differently

Marthe shopping for the day's meal in a street market in Paris

I took a cooking class from chef Marthe Brohan, in her lovely apartment near the Montparnasse Metro station in downtown Paris. I ended up being the only student. We had the most lovely morning! We went to the market to buy the vegetables and duck breasts, then took a break for a lovely cappuccino, then cooked a really lovely three-course meal and ate it. Did I mention that it was a lovely time?

How could I not love an apartment full of books? Also, the stove is spectacular.

Zucchini with lemon as the starter

Duck breast with shallots - Magrets aux Navets Glaces

The table was set beautifully, even after using it for all the prep work

Madeleines for dessert

A beautiful street we passed on the way to and from the market

I had a French vacation from the 14th to 25th March. I was invited by Tom and Shirley Pearce to join them, their daughter Calla, and Shirley's cousin John in exploring Normandy and Brittany. I had to look up where that was... West of Paris, all the way out to the Atlantic. Because I forgot that when you fly from the US, you arrive here the next day, I reserved a flight for one day too soon... At the airport hotel, my original room when I checked in at midnight, was already occupied! After that rocky start, it was a great vacation. I got an excellent room on a higher floor. The bonus day, before they got here, was when I took the cooking class.

Floating happily off with my full tummy, I walked up to the second deck of the Eiffel Tower.
The Paris icon in person

The stairs

Looking upward from the lower 2nd level

After a while, they evacuated since someone left a bag unattended. So I hopped a Metro to St. Sulpice's. It has a marble obelisk that tells the winter solstice and the equinoxes, as well as a great organ. The link is to an article about the Dan Brown Da Vinci Code connection and the pipe organ.

The brass line across the floor and up the tower was the "Rose Line" in the Da Vinci Code.

Next stop, Deyrolle's. This is a shop that has incredible collections of beetles and butterflies. If Ed were here, he would have started a new collecting topic. But what really makes them memorable is the stuffed animals!

I wanted to have a day that was completely different from when Ed and I, or Ed, Deanna, and I were here. Yup, did that! Our travel adventure continues. Next post - on the road with the Pearces.


Comments