Cultural history bike ride

Now, I wasn't going to do this after yesterday's hike, but when I woke up to another sunny day, well, how could I resist? I went on a 40km group bike ride. I found out about it one day from a booth on Torgallmenningen. This bike club, Sylklistenes landsforening i Bergen og omegn, arranged it. We started south of town, so I took the #51 bus to Fjosanger. It was a mixed crew, with quite varied skill levels, but the leader and helpers did a fantastic job. They kept us all together, and safely across intersections.


First stop, Gamlehaugen. This is where the king stays when he's in Bergen. Ed and I went there, with Deanna if I remember right. It's cool! After a little background talk in Norwegian, (I got about half of it), we headed on south.
Next was Nordahl Grieg's house - I think it was the red one. He was a Bergen poet and political activist. He was controversial, even serving as chairman of the political organization Friends of the Soviet Union (1935–40).

The rhododendrons are at peak form now. The ride was sooo beautiful.






We admired a memorial that had been decorated on the 17th of May, but I must admit that I didn't catch whom it memorialized.











The next stop was a fun break at Stend, at the Os Train Museum. They even got the old post train out of its garage and drove over to us!
 The beautiful ride continued. At the south end of a lake, somewhere south of the Horda Museum, we turned around and headed back. But first, a lunch stop!

Fresh-baked rolls and a sunny rock overlooking a beautiful lake, don't you wish you were here?
 We took a little jog through the Fana Culture Park, built by volunteers. It's right across the street from the beautiful Fana Church, and the park has lots of things to ooh and aah at.
This memorial is to Wollert Konow (1854-1924). The dates are important. Who knew there were FOUR Wollert Konows? He was an important politician, including being Prime Minister, and was born and died in Fana.









After this pleasant bike ride, as I was passing Festplassen in Bergen, a VW show was just breaking up. Wow, they collect VWs here!

There's always more to learn here. I'm back to travelogue writing, I see. 


Comments