Bergen Christmas preparations

I love the holiday season in Bergen. They celebrate Advent, which means there are 24 days of getting ready going on! It started on December 1st, and goes till Christmas Eve. Last week, the city put up 4 big trees around the middle of town, and Friday night when I came home from work, the one in Torgallmenningen square was lit.

Another big event is Lysfest, or Festival of Lights, which was Saturday evening, the first weekend in Advent. Thousands of people came to Lille Lungegårdsvann, the town lake. Everyone was enjoying the light layer of snow (and NO RAIN), and the anticipation of the whole event.

The small kids are hoisted onto their parents backs to see the temporary stage, or the huge screen. We all sing with the combined children's choruses. The words are on the screen for me, English speaker. We all "aah!" after the countdown to lighting the big tree in the lake. The paper gave a big check to the hospital for a children's ward. A trumpeter, a rock musician, and an outstanding singer entertained us, as well as a giant ape, bear and elephant that I think the kids knew. While all that was happening, everyone over 15 could collect a torch. What a spectacular scene that made!

Last, but well worth the wait, were fireworks behind the Christmas tree! You who know me, know that I am a sucker for fireworks. I led the "ooh - aah" chorus and soon all the kids around me were joining in.

Comments