Christmas with the Pearces in Brittany

Happy New Year everyone! I'm late with this but - better late than never, right? Merry Christmas, too! This year, Tom and Shirley Pearce had me over to their new place in Brittany, which is part of France if you look on the map, but not if you ask anybody from there. They had holly, mistletoe, and swags all over the house. They had little ornaments hanging from ribbons on all the windows. But best of all, they had them! It was so nice to get together with old friends (nope, not apologizing for the term).

I don't have too many pictures, since I left my memory card in the computer at home. :( I borrowed Shirley's card, so she has my pictures, and eventually, I'll get a copy. :) You can see them on their blog, LuckinKerdruc.blogspot.com Nice area, right on a river, with lots of wonderful green fields.
Shirley and Tom in front of Breton handiwork (from Bretagne)

The second "old" friend was Anna from here in Bergen. We had so many great discussions about The Toyota Production System and other things, a couple of years ago. Now she lives in France, too, and is about to have her and Klaus' first baby.

We met in Nantes, which is halfway between the Pearces' and Anna's places. In the chateau where the last Duke of Brittany lived was a very interesting history museum. Nantes' success was due to the slave trade! They were a big port a couple hundred years ago. The most unusual thing we saw was the "Machine Island". It looks like a tribute to Jules Verne, their favorite son. It is full of mechanical wonders. Look at the giant, walking, water-squirting, bellowing elephant on the Pearces' blog here.

I was back here for New Year's Eve. Lots of fireworks were shooting up over the rooftops. I stayed home and read a book, just peeking out at midnight. Very cosy. Hope you all had enjoyable holidays, too!

Comments