Around the World part 1 - Bergen to London to Singapore to Brisbane

This is the year! First year to go down under to Australia and New Zealand, with Deanna, and also the year to to all the way around the world in one trip. I flew Oneworld, which is British Airways and American Airlines. Believe it or not, it's cheaper to go all the way around than to go to and from Australia. Deanna has dreamed of visiting Australia since 6th grade.

My first stop was in London for a 10 hour layover. I thought I was flying EAST, but no, first is London. So I contacted my friend Amy. We took German at Bellevue Community College before moving here (me) and there (her) in 2008. We decided on a nice British tea at Harrods. Pinkies up, ladies!

We each had tea in a lovely silver pot, 4 dainty sandwiches, 2 scones with jam and clotted cream (must learn to  make that!) and 3 sweet "tea fancies". 

Amy is enjoying her job with Expedia. She thinks she will get her residence permit this year, and then will look for a place to buy to stay. After tea, we wandered through Harrods, admiring feather tops, fluttery gowns, and wow! the Hats! They were works of art. They didn't allow pictures, and the website doesn't show them, either. I guess you have to go to Harrods. ;)

I rode my first A380 for the 12 hours from London to Singapore. All went well. There are lots of entrances and exits, so it doesn't take nearly as long as you'd think to load 80 rows of people.

Then it was another 6+ hours to Brisbane on a 747. Singapore terminal 1 was beautiful. Can't say the same for Brisbane, where we all got in a very long, understaffed customs line. I could see Deanna on the other side as we wove back and forth. Finally made it, and we got a big hug. I started this vacation on Saturday, Feb 16, and arrived on Monday, Feb 18!

Comments