17th of May 2013 in Bergen

Apologies for the late postings. This week, I’m working in France and even though the hotel advertises free WiFi, they must have bandwidth for only 4 guests. I can’t get online to even check e-mail. I’m writing these blog posts offline and when I get the internet, I’ll upload them.
The weekend of the 17th of May, Constitution Day, was wonderful! Katarina came to visit me in Bergen. We watched the parades together. I took pictures and movies with my phone. They look good, but the videos were upside down! Another too-smart-for-me smartphone moment. I fixed them so you can watch them. Here are the YouTube links (turn the volume way down, and pay attention to how the bystanders are dressed):
Marches Crossing; Buekorps Boys; Parade; and the Russ Finale.





We took up our position by the National Theater about an hour before the parade was to come by. Don’t we look great? I have created this bunad-look outfit that I wear every year. Every 17th of May, I really want my own Norwegian national costume, because they look so great. So far, I just admire everyone else. There was an older couple next to us. He had wonderful knee socks. I asked if I could take a picture of them, and they agreed. His wife knit them for him by hand. Men in bunads are so sexy!



The best part of the day is admiring everyone’s clothes. This was unusual – a woman with an Indian sari! She was with a Navy man in his dress uniform. The woman sitting in the background is wearing a Bergensbunad. I love the little boy in the foreground wearing his bunad and carrying a flag.


Soon, a family came and stood near us. They were from Voss, and the mother had made all three bunads. I think that she made her husband's as well. We admired the needlework at the bottoms of the aprons. She explained that if you are married, your Voss bunad has a gold belt, a green stripe at the bottom, and black embroidery at the cuffs, collar and bodice.
  

After the parades, we visited Ingrid who has moved here from around Skei, where I was visiting Katarina last weekend. Ingrid fixed a lovely smoked salmon meal.



Katarina and I went to a choral concert in the Cross Church, and afterwards to a concert on Festplassen by a pretty good band. The Viking ship is the stage. After a break at home, we returned for the midnight fireworks show, and then bid the 17th of May a fond adieu.
The next day, Saturday, was Katarina’s day to shop in the big city. We went to my favorite store, Clas Ohlson Hardware. We also went to the Norli bookstore to buy a Nynorsk dictionary for Katarina’s friend, and I decided to buy one for myself. All that excitement was just preparation for the big Viking party at Michael and Mariah’s house. So guess which guest was the only one in Viking clothes? Moi! But I make a great blonde, don’t you think? Quit admiring the view behind me from their house (lol) The party was a surprise for Michael. It worked!


Comments