Paris Christmas market on Champs-Elysées

Sparkling lights! Happy people! Christmas music! Even live Santa waving from his sleigh overhead! Hot mulled wine! That was my Friday night in Paris.
I had a week teaching Continuous Improvement south of Paris. Class ended midday Friday, so I booked a room in Hotel le Belmont near the Arc de Triomphe.

 My room was lovely. They are renovating, and it was cheaper than other hotels because of it, but my nap when I arrived was so nice! The window overlooking a courtyard would open. I was right under the roof, as you see from the sloping shape.
After dark, Champs Elysées was where I wanted to be. Walking away from the Arc de Triomphe, the sides of the streets were all bright circles of light, and this building had a great big bow.
Pictures taken with my phone (not so good at night)
Once I got to the Rond Point, then I was happy - that's where the Christmas market actually started. It went from Rond Point to the giant Ferris wheel in Place de la Concorde.
At a giant outdoor ice skating rink, a really talented young man was teaching 4 or 5 kids to skate-dance to the music. All smiling and laughing. There was even a big slide. One of the food booths had a lighted Eiffel Tower under which you could eat. With my hot mulled wine (vin chaud), I had what I know as churros. I didn't catch the French name. Deep fried pastry strips with powdered sugar - yum. I picked up a couple of presents. Suddenly, Santa was overhead in his sleigh, waving and talking to the crowd!

It was time to head home when it started raining - probably I brought it, but at least it waited until late Friday night. ;-)

Merry Christmas to you all!

Comments

Post a Comment