Penang with a weekend


I'm teaching CI Practitioner in Penang from May 5 to 9, and had be there the Friday before, so I have a weekend, again! When I came in 2012, I spent the weekend on a fabulous beach in Langkawi, almost up to Thailand. This time, I decided to stay in Penang. Links to Penang 2013, Langkawi weekend, Colonial Georgetown, and climbing Penang Hill.  

Kuala Lumpur airport has a waterfall and tropical garden!

Saturday morning, I wandered the streets of Georgetown, the old British colony town, looking at the street art. I expected it to be cooler and less crowded in the morning, but it was still so hot that I felt light-headed when I stepped out of the hotel. Or maybe, I just can't handle 80 degree Farenheit anymore! And, there were lines at each of the more famous art pieces waiting to take their pictures with it. 
Many were iron work humorous history pieces.
This one is about cows being chased to make food, in contrast to their normal holy status, and about chasing cats away from the drying fish.

Look out behind you! Breaking through the wall!
 This one is famous, by Ernest Zacharevic, called Two Children on a bicycle.
Human sized
 This one is also his, and covers a several-story wall.
Giant sized

Lovely tropical flowers

Mosques lead to haunting melodies calling you to prayer.

I booked a resort night at Batu Ferringhi, the nice beach on Penang Island. I got an ocean view on the 15th floor. It is a lovely huge room. No swimming in the ocean. Jellyfish! Bummer. But there's a pool, and after high tea (smile), I laid out and got an hour's sun. Too much! Even at 5 pm. If I don't peel, I'll be toasty brown.

The sun fell into the ocean, and all the light was instantly extinguished.

 The night market stretches a long way, and is open till midnight every night. Fun!

Comments

  1. I'm getting caught up on your blog today. It's so nice that you're able to get out and experience all of the things that you do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment