It's Christmas! Start of the season in Bergen

Today is the first day of Advent. Four Sundays till Christmas. And it snowed on the Seven Mountains overnight! More good news - it's NOT snowing at my place, just raining. Yesterday, Bergen officially opened the Jul, or Yule, with Lysfest (festival of lights). We all circled Lille Lungegårdsvann (town lake) where they had installed a big tree and stage. The sun had just set. It was 4:00. I know, I know, we live too far north!
Erna Solberg, Norway's prime minister, led us in counting down from ten... nine... eight... seven...
sex... fem... fire... tre... to... en!

Hooray! There followed an hour of music, while torches were lit and distributed.


Finally, it was FIREWORKS TIME! What a great show they put on.
It started with fireworks shooting out into the lake. Oh no! A misfire! But no, it was on purpose. They fountained out of the water like magic.
The fireworks show was so artistic. I absolutely loved it.


This morning, the usual rain is back. I decorated my apartment. After Christmas last year, on sale, I bought a Norwegian candle thingie for the window. Add that to my little nissens, plus Bing Crosby on the CD player, and we have a Norwegian-American Christmas! God Jul, alle sammen!

I, Nisse, and Mariah wish you a cosy holiday

Comments