California, Arizona and Maine family visits - across the whole country!

West to east, from daughter in San Francisco to son in New Jersey, and seeing so many long-lost relatives in between, that was my October! So let's start in San Francisco.

The customs process was more efficient than I have ever experienced! But then my phone refused to connect to anything. Except WiFi. Cris picked me up at the airport, what a great friend! She dropped me at Deanna's and then headed up to her daughter's. Deanna and I had a full weekend: first, she performed in a charity show up in Guerneville, CA. It was SO MUCH fun! The whole of Sonoma County piled into the audience, and the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence probably raised $15,000 for local schools, old-folks, homeless and others.

It was all drag, all the way. The only one without makeup was Scott, the genius who built the stage. It looked like a juke box, with lights and projected images, curtains and a catwalk. Deanna was "Dean Disaster", her drag king persona, with 3 appearances on stage. Here's Mitch and Deanna doing the Blues Brothers' version of the theme from Rawhide. Remember the beer-throwing scene in the movie? We got plastic fruit to throw at them, and the crowd really got into it.
Note: the video is in 360 degree mode. It starts pointing at me (oops), so you have to either swipe the image or click-and-hold with your mouse to point the camera at the stage!

Back in San Francisco, Deanna and I met my sister Suzie and her daughter Tonja on the Fisherman's Wharf. We caught up over coffee, and then walked along checking out the waterfront from the ferry terminal up to Musee Mecanique. This museum has hundreds of coin-operated fortune-tellers, player pianos, try-your-strength, and even PacMan games. Perfect for the weird Leitner family! Suzie and Tonja, too.

Tonja, Suzie and Deanna at a fabulous museum on Fisherman's Wharf
Impossible Meat burger at VeganBurg
Next, south to San Diego to see my Aunt Alice, and cousins Wendy and Chad. Some of my favorite childhood memories were with them, Uncle Jack and cousin Mike in Oak Creek Canyon, Arizona. Wendy got me in trouble for riding on the back of a motorcycle with one of the kids who also was spending summer vacation there. The skating rink! Teaching little kids how to make yarn googly-eye creatures. Now, Aunt Alice is sliding into dementia, sad to see. We had a wonderful day, touring around the area, enjoying In-N-Out Burgers (real meat), and generally being with each other.

Cousins Chad and Wendy flank Aunt Alice

 Racing eastward, my next relatives were my in-laws. Lynne and Russ let me stay in their Prescott, Arizona Victorian home. I got to help decorate for Halloween!
We're getting close to done!

My specialty - the graveyard

Lynne, don't fall off!

Lynne's 70th birthday painting from me. She actually liked it!
My mother-in-law Esther suffered a heart attack a couple of days before I got there. She just barely pulled through. She had settled down some by the time I visited here, and looked healthy. She lives in a place that has helpers, not nurses. But now she will be getting nursing help, as well.
George and Wilma Shamy, Esther's parents
Here is the only picture I've seen of her biological father. My genealogy research has turned up many arrest records for George - he had a big gambling problem. Wilma and he split, and the man Ed called Grandpa was Grandpa Tony. We met him on our honeymoon in 1972, and he was a wonderful man.

South, now, to Sun City, Arizona, where my stepmom and stepsister live. Hey, I have to mention what I was driving. A 2020 white Camaro! Avis gave it to me for the price of the VW I ordered when the VW was not available. Contrary to my son's orders, I did not see how fast it would go! As a matter of fact, I kind of like to annoy people by driving no more than 5 mph over the posted speed limit. snicker snicker snort
I had to pull off the highway for a picture of Saguaro cacti

Hot car for a hot lady, right?

Bob and Lori behind Lea, my step-family
Lori, Lea and I drove out to English Rose Tea Room for high tea. We wore hats, we held our pinkies out while sipping our tea, and we laughed. Later, I played the CD I made for Lea, full of music from the 30s to the late 40s. Lori shared lots of pictures with me. Lea may be in a wheelchair, but she is sharp and cheery.

Who is next on the relatives list? Why, son Neal in New Jersey! He picked me up at the airport at 10 pm, and then we started driving north to Connecticut. The plan: to see the fall colors between New Jersey and Maine. Neal's plan: avoid New York's traffic during the day. New York's plan: overnight construction on all the roads. It was after midnight before we got to our hotel. An elephant family lived upstairs, and they were still awake. After a rough night, I snuck out to enjoy the area (and a cuppa).
Across the street

Hotel non-scary-crow


The colors! They were awesome, even under cloudy skies.

I was worried that Neal's junker car would not be up to the drive. But my brilliant son had the same thought, and we drove up in a modern car with all the accessories working! His old junker looked like the Titanic underneath, according to Neal. So as long as it would still drive, he drove it to the car dealer and traded it in.

Maine was the last big state that I had never visited. 49 down, 1 to go! Cousin Mike and his wife Mary were great hosts in Portland, Maine.
Cousin Mike showed us lighthouses and the coast

Neal and my selfie in Portland in front of giant scarecrows
The weather wanted to show us Maine, too. A nor'easter blew in overnight and knocked out power lines and shredded trees. We woke up to no power, but prepared hosts. Mike had a camp stove set up to make coffee and eggs. Since their work was canceled because of the lack of power, we decided to go find electricity while shopping and pub crawling. L.L. Bean is a Maine landmark. Portland is a micro-brewery paradise. After another night of the house getting colder while the refrigerator got warmer, Mike started the generator. Neal and I drove back south to hot showers.
Neal (in his new L.L. Bean warm shirt), Mike and Mary enjoying a bar with electricity
On the road again, we took a route that allowed me to VISIT MY 50TH STATE! Providence, Rhode Island for lunch put that little state on the "been there" list.
My last state to visit in my lifetime 

Granddogs Furgus and Carson showing me how I would look after this trip


Comments

  1. What fabulous pictures! I hope all is well back in Bergen. It was great to see you. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment