Janus wool mill with a mini-museum

The whole "be a tourist at home" thing has come down to my last bookmark in the Bergen travel guide: The Janus knitwear factory. It is in a factory that isn't part of this post, right next door to the old wooden building that was the first factory. 
Inside was a shop, full of wool clothes for men, women and children. I asked the cashier about the museum, and she said, "This IS the museum. See the pictures on the walls? And that room over there?" I was disappointed, but looked at all the pictures and the shelves built high on the wall with interesting things, like stocking shapes.
Stocking shapes on the left

Check out this embroidery machine, programmed with a paper tape! Not sure if all three machines ran simultaneously, but maybe...

They began in 1895, using the stream outside for power.

Now was the fun part - trying on clothes. I bought a jacket that I really like. The pockets are large with zipper openings, and the sides have a stretchier texture, making it perfect for taking Timmi out for walks while carrying my phone and doggy bag. I got some wool/silk long johns and a camisole, plus a lightweight wool hooded T-shirt.

And then we headed back home. 

Comments