Annie McGrath's Story

 I was Annie McGrath. This is my story. I was born Mary Ann McGrath in Ireland, baptized in Granard Parish in County Longford, on the 6th of May, 1861. Everyone called me Annie. My father, Edward, and mother, Ann McKeon, lived in a small house in Granard Townland. The Great Famine was over. Times were pretty good. Father was a laborer, while Mother took care of the house and of having babies. I was eldest. Two years later, Thomas. When I was four, Michael. I was seven when little Edward Joseph arrived. By the time Maggie and Peter showed up, I was helping out.

We loved to run through the area, climbing up Bruce Hill to play soldiers and wading through the lakes to catch fish and tadpoles. We had lots of dreams. One time, my friend Bridget and I were sitting on Bruce Hill talking. I said, “If you could get away from here, where would you go?”

Bridget looked at me like I was crazy and answered, “Go? Why would I go away? Look at this beautiful place!”

“What!?” I asked, “I would get away from Ireland. To a place where I can make a life for myself! There’s a world out there, just waiting for me.”

Bridget laughed at me. “A life for yourself? You need to find a good boy to marry and have lots of babies, like everyone we know.” I kept my mouth shut. Was she right?  Was wanting adventure so wrong?

Another summer passed. Father was sick. I was pretty unaware, being only ten, but we had to move out of our house. Two years went by. He kept having fewer days when he could work. Mother started taking in laundry and sewing to make ends meet. In June of 1874, Father died of liver cancer. Mother added house-cleaning to make money. At twelve years old, I was in charge of my five younger siblings. I couldn’t go run through the fields. I had to cook dinner, not to mention clean house. I hated cleaning. I hated being responsible. Why did Father have to die?

Mother’s step-mom Margaret McKeon lived right over in Leitrim Townland, with her son, my Uncle John, and his sweetheart, Mary McKeon. They got married when I was seven. Mary McKeon was from Ballymacroly, so even though she and John were both McKeons, they were not cousins. Grandma Margaret was the second wife of Michael McKeon. His first wife, Rose, was Mother’s mother. Grandma Margaret had lived through many tough years, and many deaths. She and Michael had seven children, five surviving. We all would get together for family meals on Sundays. We kids would race around outside Uncle John’s house, playing hide-and-seek or bad-guys vs good-guys. The neighbors didn’t want their kids to associate with us wild ones. That was okay with me, since I didn’t fancy any of those boys.

As I was helping Aunt Mary clean up the dishes one Sunday, Grandpa was looking at the newspaper. There were advertisements about going to America. He said to my mom, “The life you are living is not going to keep you and six kids alive, Ann. Look at this ad. It says life is great over there in the New World.”

Mother scoffed, “And how are we going to afford that?”

After looking at the ceiling a minute, he offered, “If we put all we have together, in a few years, we can send Thomas. He can find work and send you what he makes, so one more can go overseas. Two McGraths in America can send more money home…” The seed was planted in my dreams.

1879. Thomas has left for New York. We had used everything we could scrape together for his trip. We had no money and no house. Grandma Margaret, Uncle John and Aunt Mary could take are of two or three of the youngest kids. Michael and I were on our own. Maybe there was work in Dublin? We hiked the 62 miles, but found no work. We joined other teenagers and begged and stole what we could, sharing among ourselves to survive. But I got caught! I was convicted of vagrancy and sent to Grangegorman Women’s Prison in Dublin. There, I was given clothing, bedding, shoes, and even a handkerchief. We, half-starved, were fed oatmeal and milk for breakfast, and potatoes and buttermilk for dinner. It was heaven on earth. No wonder so many women were in and out of Grangegorman over and over. It was survival when we could not get work. Sentences for vagrancy were for 2 weeks to a month. During that time, we worked on sewing and laundry, and spent several hours a day learning reading, writing, and arithmetic. Also, the priest visited. The fool believed we needed moral guidance! Apparently, starving was no excuse for stealing.

I went back home, where at least I had people who knew me and cared about me. There used to be charitable groups who would help young women get overseas. They would train them in some skill, then put them on a ship. But they were focused on the west coast of Ireland, and they had pretty much faded away by the time I could have used them.

Thomas finally sent money! The family and I make a plan to get to the promised land. They called it “chain migration”. Each person would send money back home so that the next person could come. Thomas warned us away from New York City, so we decided on Boston. We had to hurry, since little 6-year-old Peter and 9-year-old Maggie were so thin. They caught every disease that went through Leitrim Townland.

1882. I had a ticket on the S.S. City of Paris from Queenstown, Ireland, to New York, United States! Grandma Margaret, Mother, Uncle John and Aunt Mary packed my necessities to live in a new place. I would never again sit on Bruce Hill and admire my lovely home. As I tearfully hugged my brothers and sister, I promised that I would send every penny home, and I would see them on the other side of the Atlantic.

Thomas met me at the port in New York. It had been three long years! He had figured out how to get me to Leicester, Massachusetts, where he knew somebody. It was basically a tenement, crowded with other refugees from poor old Ireland, but we were able to make do. We sent as much money as we could back to our families. We learned English. And we met people.  

I met a real charmer, John Abner Ackley. He wooed me with his violin! He was an adventurer, too. We made plans to marry and go West, looking for silver.

 

This is a fictionalized account of great-grandma Mary Ann McGrath’s life. It is based on source material which you can see in my Genealogists.com McKeon and McGrath Research Report: Leitner – Project 18464, 18 July 2018. The Grangegorman record was discovered by Muriel ‘Molly’ Ackley. She also commissioned the gravestone. Thank you, Molly. All of the links can be found, not behind a pay wall, at WikiTree. Mary Ann McGrath.


John Abner Ackley in 1925, Boise, Idaho


Comments