Bringing back that artisan, handcrafted Web. John Scalzi has a point...

It has been months since I posted on here. Did you miss me? Probably never even noticed, right? I hope to start blogging weekly, whether I have traveled or not. Why? Because of this thought-provoking post by John Scalzi on his blog Whatever: https://whatever.scalzi.com/2022/11/25/how-to-weave-the-artisan-web/ Scalzi says that it would be nice to have our own sites, not run by multibillionaires, or algorithms, or advertising. Well, yeah! I will still use Facebook for finding out about meetings, and Instagram for pics from my family and close friends. This is not an "either-or situation", but rather an "and also" situation. It's kinda exciting! 

Now, what will I say today? Maybe I'll reintroduce myself. I am a geek currently wearing a T-shirt showing "O, TREK-MAS TREE" with the Star Trek emblem in green, wrapped in Christmas lights. I live with my adorable little dog, Timmi, in Bergen, Norway. Bergen is perfect for me. People have the same attitudes toward what time dinner is, what it means to say "let's meet at 'x' time", and "There's no bad weather, just bad clothes". I love traveling, which is why my blog morphed into a travelogue in the last decade or so. 

I started writing "ButterflyInNorway" back in 2008, when we left the US for Europe. "Butterfly" because in Hungarian my name, Pilla, is poetic for butterfly. "Norway" because I got a job here, using my career's training in process improvement using Lean and Six Sigma. Best decision ever! Who knew that it would turn out so well? Plans are a whole topic in themselves, but suffice it to say that plans are made for laughing at later. 

We have Americans here in Bergen, so Thanksgiving is still a feast with good company. Turkeys are getting easier to find all the time. We've had monthly pizza nights for the whole time I've been here. I am in a book club that reads English language books, with members from all over the world. But it is not all about living in an American conclave! I have studied Norwegian for years, and learned to read Norwegian recipes and enjoy root vegetables and cod. There are community events constantly, so if you get lonely, take a walk around town. 

Or you can start your own thing! I co-founded a makerspace after retiring. Look up Marineholmen Makerspace to see it. (Use Google Translate.) I teach 3D printing, and just took a vinyl-cutting course. I hold the place open every Wednesday from 4 pm to 8 pm for anyone who wants to check it out. We have creativity bursting out all over: electronics, laser cutting, wood working, CNC, 3D printing, and every time I come in, I wander the rooms to see what other wonderful creations there are. Speaking of "artisan, handcrafterd"!

Okay, we have to have a picture before I sign off. Here is me in front of the 3D printers a few years ago.


Here's to a healthier, more varied Web. - Scalzi

Comments