December lights in Bergen

It is time for the light to be mellow. If the clouds part for a minute, the sun gets no higher than the rooftops. The days are short. So we fill them with joy! Lysfest, or Festival of Lights, brings the whole town out to Lille Lungegårdsvann, or Town Lake, to sing together, watch the lighting of the tree in the middle of the lake, and then... fireworks! The Christmas market is set up, with German sausages for sale, booths of goodies, and a giant ferris wheel lighting the sky. People are getting ready for Julebord, where they feast on all the wonderful food of Norway, sing all the songs, and toast each other with prosecco. So here are some of my December pictures.

Let's start with the Festival of Lights, even though it was in November, not yet December. The link is to my 1-1/2 minute YouTube video. Children sang "Deilig er Jorden", a centuries-old Christmas carol. It's been years since we could all be together, and the feeling was marvelous. Since Timmi has gone pretty deaf, I got to leave him alone and go say "Oooh, Aaah!" at the fireworks, too. 

First snowfall! So exciting. Our morning potty walk was through fluffy white stuff.


Here I am with bling, makeup, and paper crown, at the Girl Friends' Julebord (GFJ). That's the Christmas market over my shoulder. GFJ was at Hotel Norge, where they put on an absolutely fabulous buffet for three simultaneous julebords.

Don't I clean up nice?

A work of art, and edible

The snow fell again the next week, and Timmi and I took a walk to take pictures and to buy an electric blanket. I adore my new, warm bed!


Edvard Grieg

Ole Bull

Morning potty walk through Christmas lights

The artist with the best treatment of light in Bergen, according to me, is Marianne Skjelbred. Her Instagram feed is full of the beauty of Bergen draped in white lights. I follow her feed and it makes me happy. Try it!



Comments

  1. Positively beautiful! Who is the little fellow sitting below Edvard Greig? He looks like one of Santa's elves...hehehe JL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, look at that optical illusion, JL! ~Pilla

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment