Afternoon Tea Invades Bergen

 


I wanted to treat myself to Afternoon Tea at the new restaurant Engen, which just opened. The building was renovated during the last year. They advertised Sunday afternoon Tea. Have you watched "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" where the proper way to make tea is one of the key points? In the movie, the hotel is run by enthusiastic but inept manager, Sonny. It's one of my favorite movies.

Afternoon Tea in London at Harrads was quite the event, with silver and china. I had a long layover there once, and got together with an old friend. Another wonderful memory of Afternoon Tea was from Glendale, Arizona with my high school buddies, where the restaurant supplied fancy hats for us to wear. Fun!

Engen was full of families, and one birthday party, for Tea. Ordinary people enjoying time together. The restaurant employees did their best, but every step was a problem-solving exercise. The manager had just quit and a new young man was thrust into working Sunday. Clearly, he had never watched the Marigold Hotel! He didn't know how to make tea. I tried to teach him. He wanted me to pick one canape from the Tea menu, and had to go ask about it when I said, "I want them all, of course." Bergen is being invaded by foreign activities! 

A new place, with a few pieces not finished...

The food was quite good. After a few more Sundays, they will have all the problems worked out. Afternoon Tea will be a 'thing' in Bergen. We will be in a beautiful place. 


The sweets were delish! 


Comments