My Madeira Adventure Begins

Madeira is a subtropical paradise simply perfect for Norwegians to visit in the middle of January. I booked myself a birthday present: a singles tour with Aller Travel, a Norwegian travel company specializing in people over 60 who speak Norwegian. Pushing outside of my comfort zone. I can do this! We are going to hike for 8 days, along the levadas, or aquaducts, that bring the water from the wetter side of the island to the drier side. I changed my exercise routine to focus on walking up inclines and strengthening my knees. I was getting stronger. I was even losing weight. But then, the inevitable happened: two weeks before liftoff, I sprained my ankle. Sneaky ice grabbed my foot and threw me to the ground. Plans are just made to be laughed at. R.I.C.E. helped.

Rest - only one exercise session in those two weeks and reduced distance while walking Timmi

Ice - for the first evening, a baggie full of ice on it

Compression - wrapped an elastic bandage around it for the first 10 days. I also bought an ankle brace, and wore support socks on the planes

Elevation - rearranged my whole apartment so that the stupid foot could be *up* no matter whether I was working on the computer, eating, or anything else.

After my usual stressing and planning and not sleeping the night before, the flights all went well. Our group of a dozen met each other and Alina, our tour guide, at the Funchal airport, and drove to the Hotel Lido, where we had an intro lecture with a taste of Madeira wine. I was very happy to understand everything that was said. What a big load off my mind! The reward was a buffet dinner.

Outdoor pool at the Hotel Lido

Okay, the plan is back on track. I will get summer in January, right? Well... the forecast turned from sun to rain, and from 17 Celsius to 13 Celsius. What is that I hear? Laughter? But, as you know, "there is no bad weather, just bad clothes". The first hike was to be easy. It was, actually. Muddy, but level and wide.

Our first levada hike

I managed to fall, but didn't hurt anything or even cover my butt in mud. By the time we were touring the botanical gardens, the brace inside my boot was hurting me. Once I got back to the hotel, I took off the brace and relaxed for a few hours. The evening walk around town was just fine. Tomorrow, no brace. But, yes, hiking sticks.

Let's get off of me, me, me and on to my, my, my! There are plants from everywhere in the world here, and many are even blooming! I saw one rhododendron that was towering over the trail.

The botanical gardens were flowering in January

There were plants from my childhood in Arizona, and from my college days in Texas. Lots of flowers that are *indoor* plants were blooming outdoors.

Green and red mosaic

Pulling a flower close to my nose 

Here we learn about Madeira wine

Alina teaching us history

Alina buying us "castanha"
Roasted chestnuts are delicious, once somebody explains how to open them.

Madeira Embroidery is globally known 

Rainbow over Roman Catholic Funchal

Black Pig for dinner, perfectly cooked

More adventures to come! 

Comments

  1. Enjoy Pilla ,🦋K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the taste of summer, K. Thanks

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you were able to do the hike, still! It looks beautiful over there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment