Swapping Clothing on a Lovely Day

I've oiled my sewing machine and been redesigning my clothes lately. Two skirts up! One made me look fat, and the other was just too small, but now I can wear both of them. Yay! This is getting to be a big thing here in Bergen. The main library had a workshop for creating new clothes in May, which got me started.

Check out my new - old skirt!

Woohoo! I was primed. I fixed another skirt. I made a pair of shorts for a guy. I got some books on redesigning clothes from the library and went through my stash of sewing supplies. But wait. What is this sign in the window of Løvetann Bistro about Clothing Swap Bergen? Must go see how that works.

Several times a year, Clothing Swap Bergen puts on large-scale swapping events. They believe that "sustainable alternatives to fast fashion are for everyone, and help you share and take care of the clothes you already own." You bring up to 7 items, get points for each, and then spend your points on clothes, shoes, or purses that other people brought. The hall, a former factory called Bergen Kjøtt, was full of people, all enjoying themselves.
Volunteers put out new things into organized racks continually

I got 19 points for 5 purses, never used after retiring, a skirt and a top, both too small. My companion for the day got 100 points, mostly for turning in an Oleana sweater. Then we went shopping. Yes, there were changing rooms! I got a couple of summery tops and a more formal black dress, using 10 points. Nine points left for the next session, oh boy. Next time, I will bring shoes that are gathering dust. There were a lot of shoes there, so I know I can lighten my load of stuff even more. It just feels great.

We sat out on the terrace in the sun for a bit, admiring the fjord and the painted rocks. They also had a coffee corner with home-baked goods. All of which could be bought for points.

Downstairs was a repair café, where volunteers help you fix, alter, or repurpose clothes. Huge thanks to all these volunteers!
 
Have you redesigned any clothes - or swapped clothing? What was your experience like?

Comments

  1. Clothing Swap Bergen is a great idea! I hope I hear about the fall event. I love to sew, but have little experience redesigning clothes... although I have clothes that could use it. Bravo for your new skirts! JML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Let's go together on 1 October. Going with a friend makes it even better.

      Delete
  2. It's funny, I just read a book to my daughters called "I Had A Favorite Dress", and it's all about how the protagonist's mother basically kept re-utilizing her daughter's dress into different articles of clothing. It's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Had a Favorite Dress looks like a perfect introduction to this idea! I downloaded a sample, and wish I could have read it to my kids, Kelli.

      Delete
  3. You have inspired me to do a clothing swap! I’ll gather a few friends that have done this before to get the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment