Update on my little Timmi, and it's good

My little dog, Timmi, is 15 years old. Such a little old guy, he is. He, like me, is feeling the effects of age. He has been walking very slowly, with his tail down instead of curled up over his back. Our walks are short, these days. I have been trying to find low-protein soft dog food that appeals to him. Low-protein is good for kidney problems. I could tell that his hind legs hurt. 

The vet wanted him to come in for a checkup. I see that my last blog post about him was 27 February, when we first found out about his kidney problems. The morning of the checkup, I chased him around for an hour. He stared me and my sample-catcher down with total disdain. I caught a drop or two, yay me! It wasn't enough for the vet, though. I guess we know who's the boss, don't we?

He has lost some weight, but the vet says his 5.8 kg is a very good number. I tempt him by sprinkling boiled chicken over his (terrible) dog food. The vet suggested boiled eggs. Timmi let me know that was totally unacceptable. 

The vet felt him all over, and Timmi growled with bared teeth when the vet petted his back legs. Science may be the winner, here. A few years ago, they developed an antibody therapy to help with osteoarthritis pain, that is safe for dogs with kidney problems. It's Librela, and is a monthly injection. Yes, Timmi is worth it! 

After a blood test and another failed attempt to get urine, plus the Librela shot, Timmi bounced out of the torture chamber as happy as a little puppy. Up and down hills, enjoying the sun and scents of the world, tail curled up over his back. 

The blood test showed that his kidneys were no worse than the last checkup. Excellent. <3



Comments

  1. I'm so happy to hear Timmi is feeling better! You must have been so worried! JML

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie. I love seeing his tail up in the air. ❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment