Polar Bears! First Hike on Shore. Then Catastrophe!

Today, we saw our first polar bears! A mother and two cubs, so far in the distance that we had to use the bridge telescope to be sure they weren't just big rocks. So exciting! Later, we saw a polar bear running away from us, and finally, a young polar bear on an ice floe.

Any chance you'll believe this is a swimming polar bear?


Our guides carried rifles while we were onshore, just in case a bear surprised us. They have never had to use them, though. Our shore trips were always wonderful!




Dee comes ashore!

Musk ox track. Do they hop like bunnies?


Home again, home again...

After a fabulous dinner, back in our room, I had an explosive gastrointeritis episode. Luckily, our doctor was still awake, and the cabin crew were able to put all the sheets and PJs into plastic bags for cleaning. No one else got sick. Apparently it was just something that I should not have eaten. But, protocol guided the next 24 hours. I was isolated in our room. Who needs that kind of adventure?


The ship was up at the far end of Scoresby Sund. They had to go back out to sea, in case I had another attack (I didn't), and had to be evacuated. The speed limit in the sound is no-wave slow. During that day, Dee got to do the Polar Plunge. The daring guests leap into the icy water and then leap back out - quickly. She earned a patch. She also got to take a Zodiac trip and touch ice. And sit in the hot tub. Meanwhile, I watched The Princess Bride, read my book, and used my new binoculars.

Spoiler alert: This unexpected detour made it possible for us to see the eclipse! The whole Scoresby Sund, with the other eclipse-viewing ships, was fogged in on the 12th, while we were able to chase down a hole in the clouds. So, maybe not a catastrophe, after all. ?


We started in Scoresby Sund at Ittoqqortoormiit, then went up the sound. We came back down and visited Storefjord, north of town, and Rømerfjord, south of town, and a few others.


Comments

  1. It sounds like a good trip, all things considered! I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment