Ja, vi elsker dette landet! Time for a 17th of May post.

Could it really have been 2013 since my last 17th of May post?

Today was beautiful. I stood in the same spot as in 2013 to watch the parades cross in front of me, and even next to the same family! Tradition is important, right? It turns out that one of the family is the volunteer coordinator at Engensenteret nursing home, where I play games on Mondays. Coincidence is important too!
Check out all those Russ cards! Russ are graduating seniors who dress in special clothes that I thought were gang-wannabe outfits when I first arrived, on the 14th of May, 2008. They create funny cards and give them to the kids. This was today's haul - she already had over 800! Here's my 2008 post.

Brief history lesson: On the 17th of May, 1814, Norway published its constitution. It took until 1905 to become an independent country, though. The 17th is full of flags, hot dogs and ice cream, and the national costume, bunads. Everyone looks wonderful! There are parades of all the schools in the area, the police and fire department bands, every kind of club you can imagine, and finally a bazillion Russ.

Some videos of the parades:






In the afternoon, I tried out "Sweet Rain", a bakery I've wanted to turn into forEVER. Yum.

As in 2013, I went to a choir concert in Holy Cross Church (Korskirken). This year, it was the Shepherd of the Valley Choir from near St. Paul, Minnesota, USA.
This year, I won't watch the fireworks. Instead, I will protect little scaredy-Timmi from those noises.

Gratulerer med dagen!

Comments